I don't know of any other single factor in life or business that is more important than trust. I recently had a conversation on this topic with my nephew. He is experiencing "feel good moments" due to interactions with people who trust him in business and personal transactions. He's young and is seeing the value.
Has the world changed to the point that trust is harder to find than ever? I don't think so. I think it boils down to negative news from every direction. There are trustworthy people, and there are untrustworthy people. Always has been. Always will be.
All that really matters is this: In which category do you wish to be recognized and remembered?
Here are my tips, gained from years of experience, for gaining a reputation of trust:
- Listen carefully to what people have to say.
- Never over- promise just to get the business.
- Think of the relationship before thinking of the business potential.
- Treat others as you would like to be treated.
- Find out how you can help others, then do as much as you can.
- Do what you say you will do. Every time.
- If you screw up, admit it and apologize. Make it up to the person whether you got the business or not.
- Always, always be thankful and show it.
- Be genuine. If you aren't, it will show.
- Be a positive spirit and influence. You never know when someone you encounter needs it and remembers it.